A hut and a part time doctor, this was Public Health Center(PHC) 60 years ago and nobody would have thought that the hut will turn into a 150 bedded multi disciplinary hospital with 70 doctors working round the clock over the next sixty years. The diamond jubilee celebration marked its handsome growth both in service and quality.
Started by Gandhian M C Subrah-manyam(MC) with a band of young volunteers in a thatched roof in 1953, it was an experimentation to offer medical service to the local community around Mambalam. Dedicated efforts of MC who opted to remain a bachelor, inspired second and third generation volunteers. PHC treats over one lakh patients every year.
Now the hospital has state of the art Cathlab with imported equipment to provide the best cardiac treatment. Though advancements in technology increases the price of treatment, PHC still treats patients at modest cost, thanks to the selfless volunteers. BSVN Centre, a part of the PHC provides special training and care to mentally retarded children. Special Nandhini baby food prepared using
WHO/UNICEF formula and Alochana-advisory are given to nursing mothers through PHC.